top of page

The Confusion of Americans Abroad: The Taxes Go with You.

Updated: Jul 8, 2022

U.S. taxes can undoubtedly be overwhelming, especially as a U.S. citizen living abroad. As a U.S. citizen, you are expected to complete tax returns yearly and report your earnings from both the U.S. and your country of residence. This is because the United States is one of two countries which applies citizen-based taxation, meaning that the IRS requires you to report worldwide income no matter where you live.

Late tax filing is subject to penalties every month missed after the deadline. Therefore, you can end up owing the IRS more money if you are unprepared.

The confusion doesn’t stop there. For example, the IRS demands that U.S. citizens report the amounts within their bank accounts, especially foreign accounts. Additionally, there are multiple types of tax forms with different rules, such as married and filing separately, married and filing together, primary household earner, corporation tax and more. We can assist you when choosing which option is best for your circumstances.

Fortunately, at EDA Professional Services, we know the ins and outs of the U.S. tax system. Our expertise and concrete experience allows us to provide an efficient tax filing service whilst providing advice that decreases your unnecessary expenses and assuring fair treatment as a taxpayer.


bottom of page